Monday 19 August 2013

Blogging: What's What + My Tips



Hi Everyone!
Recently, a lot of you have been contacting me requesting a little post about blogging, and the do's and dont's of it all. Now, I have been reading these posts, and they are really interesting to see what bloggers do, and their tips about it all, and I'm really surprised that you guys would like me to do it. So here it is. These are all my own opinion, you definitely don't have to follow these to be successful or to get your blog on the map, it just states some of my peeves and my tricks to getting a lovely little side of the web for yourself, somewhere you will feel comfortable doing.


#1: Blog when you have time
So as you know, I'm entering my year 10 in school, which means I am starting on my GCSE'S, which means once again, I won't be able to blog much after christmas. Sadly my main priority is my education, and since it's getting to be a very important time for me, I may need to step back from the computer for a while. Which is why this number is important. If you are at university, or there is something going on at home, or you're just very busy because of your job, do not get pressured into blogging by anyone. Yes, some horrible people may leave some nasty comments that will make you feel guilty about leaving, but at the end of the day blogging is your hobby, you don't have to do it.

#2: Just because you're popular with brands, doesn't mean you're popular with your readers...
I get really annoyed from time to time about this. It's got to be my main peeve about some bloggers who do this. When you start to get a little bit more views, brands will come swarming, and I mean swarming. They'll want you to review all sorts of things, but you've got to understand, that you don't want your readers thinking you are just in it for the free stuff. Yes, freebies are nice, but are they really going to make you popular with your readers when all you are doing is advertising things? No, so just be sensible with what you accept, and what you don't.

#3: Don't go Plastering..
This is basically the same point as before, but don't plaster your blog with ads, it will just look like a money making ploy, and sometimes they can really agitate the readers when they are trying to look through and all you can see is scrolling ads.


4: The Social Network is your friend!
When I started my blog, I had heard of twitter, but stayed away from it since I wasn't that sure about it, thinking that facebook was the best place to go. But I was wrong, Twitter is definitely the best place to be if you want serious exposure. After a year of being on twitterI've gained 1,270 followers, and I get to communicate with my idols and famous journalists everyday, it's more effective than email if you want to be noticed by a brand or a person, and you will meet new friends who are in the exact same position as you.

#5: Friendship is Important!
I can't stress how lovely it is to have someone who is also a fashion blogger to have as a friend. I met my friend Tolly six months ago on twitter, and since then, we have met once in real life when we were both competing for the company 'best teen fashion blog' award, I speak to her literally every day, and I'm soon going to meet up with her again in September! She lives in France so it is definitely hard to see her, but we make do staying up late talking about literally everything! I've also got another close friend of mine called Mia, and she's also a teenage blogger so it's lovely to speak to her, she's very artsy so it's amazing when I get to see what she's working on! 

#6: Get a Penpal!
About a year ago I started talking to my penpal Jess, and I can honestly say I don't regret plucking up the courage to talk to her on twitter. She's a bit older than me, but we treat each other like sisters. She lives in America, but that's the great thing, we can send each other things from where we are from, and it's so exciting when they come in the mail for us.

Me and Tolly at the awards.

#7: Don't get all techy
Yes, some bloggers might have apple mac' and Iphone 5's, but you don't have to buy expensive computers to be big! I currently blog on my ten year old home desktop, but it doesn't make my posts anyworse does it?

#8: Pretty pictures
It's always nice when blogs have a nice tidyness about them and it looks fresh and unique, but it's almost key that you have to have clear photos, otherwise, it just bugs me personally, and you can't see what you are talking about properly.

#9: NUMBERS AREN'T IMPORTANT
Numbers and followers just aren't important! As long as you feel what you are blogging about is yourself and unique, that's all that matters :)

I hope these tips help you, and let me know whether you agree with some of my tips :)

14 comments:

  1. I think these are really fantastic and honest tips. especially about not being pressured. Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say your blog layout looks AMAZING!! I love it....I also love how mature you are becoming....in your posts and even in photos you are so mature and are looking more and more like a woman! You are truly the SWEETEST thing in the world I love you so much. You are an amazing blogger and friend....Thank you so much for including me in this awesome post. Love you Lots lil sis xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the nicest comment I have ever received, thankyou so much big sis! xxx

      Delete
  3. Great post Anna I have just found your blog via twitter and I love it so I will be sure to follow after this comment. I really agree with all the tips especially the first 4. When I start my a-levels in September I really want my education to be my priority and blog at weekends to be honest I would love to blog all day but that won't get me anywhere. I agree with the freebie tip is really annoying when I see bloggers do back to back post on things they have been sent as it is like it is not longer there blog . Social networking really is your best friend I think this is where I gained most of my followers by interacting and taking part in blogger chats

    Rianna


    Twitter : @london_wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, really helped me as I've felt quite pressured recently with blogging. I'm about to go into Year 11 and it worries me balancing out blogging and GCSE'S. Although after reading this post I'm more looking forward to blogging :D Thanks for writing this!

    stylishengland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. I agree with everything. But it's all a learning process :)
    Adela x

    misspinkstyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice article however I'm a bit shy when it comes to all of this social networking because people I know in real life have my twitter and I just feel weird thinking that they would be judging me for what I post. Do you use your personal twitter or did you make a new one specifically for my blog? Am I just being sily? :P And what is the bloggers chat on Twitter and how do I be a part of it because when I scroll through the hash tag, I am SO lost!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with all your tips, what a great post. A lot of advice that bloggers dish out is total crap, to be honest, but this was really common-sense and friendly. I don't mean this in a patronising way at all, but especially for someone so young. Very impressed, following, keep up the good work :)

    Holly xx
    http://thepersephonecomplex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree with point 2! I follow some people and I am like 'do you not buy anything?!'

    Great tips! :)

    www.gingerbreadsmiles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tips :)!

    Would you like to enter my giveaway? http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/100-bloglovin-followers-giveaway.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This helped lots, thank you!
    I haven't got many followers at all but I still enjoy blogging because I know people are reading them :)
    Check out mine! rickettsel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete