Friday 1 August 2014

Jada Sezer: Body & Confidence

Hello Everyone!
I hope you're all having a great summer holiday. I know I haven't been posting a lot recently, but I promise I haven't spent all of that time sitting on my bum! I've been keeping up on all the latest stories ready to post for your pleasure! I also might a fortnight period at the start of August where I post everyday for two weeks, so let me know if you all like that and if enough people are interested, I'll start planning towards that! I also have some pretty cool news, I am officially fifteen. It feels really weird because I started this blog when I was just twelve years old, so that's basically almost three years of my life spent working hard (and loving every second) of making this blog. I'm never embarassed of it at all, and it's so special I'm glad to call it my own.

So I'm blogging today about a recent woman I've come across who has made me feel really refreshed and happy about the media today and how it is slowly changing to accept curvier woman, and how more and more ladies and men of all shapes and sizes are being accepted into the media, behind and in front of the camera, and that woman is Jada Sezer. I found out about her after watching a video on 'Ugly Face of Beauty' aka Gracie Francesca's channel, which was a Q&A about her modelling career and how she found herself slap bang in the middle of one of the most cut throat industries there ever was. I've mentioned Gracie's youtube in a lot of my posts because I think she's a great and healthy person for women to aspire to be like. She has had her ups and downs with her confidence and health, but has learnt to overcome it, even though she is still fighting her demons everyday.
images courtesy of asos curve
Jada was studying in college when she decided to be a model, and as a child, media had never really pressured her into making any changes about her weight or how she looked. She started her career by doing a shoot and posting some pictures up on facebook, they then were noticed by some agencies, and she did a couple more shoots before sending them out, hoping for agencies to accept. As time went by she had more photo shoots with bigger brands and magazines, and she even ended up as being the face of the first ever plus sized fashion week. I was researching her a little more before I wrote this post, and it came up with a quote she said which read ''The ones that say you can't or won't are probably scared that 'you will' step out of your comfort zone and start really living life''. I chose to write about Jada because she has done so well for herself, and even though she isn't a twig model, she is healthy and happy. Jada finds it important to exercise to keep herself healthy but not to lose weight, since she is happy of her size already. She is pictured above in one of the 'asos curve' collections, and she dominates as the main model for the majority of their sites clothes.

images courtesy of ericmatthews.wordpress.com
Whether you like it or not, Jada is powering her way through the modelling industry, taking every job or achievement she gets in her stride, and whether you know it or not, she is changing it for the absolute better. I can't even tell you how happy it makes me feel that a woman who is Size 16 and healthy is big in the business, since I am growing up in a world where if you don't go to the gym once a week you're a lazy pig, and if you go out to eat in a fast food restaurant, you're fat. Yes, I'm only 15, but media are pressuring young girls and boys to believe you have to be a size 6 or a size XS because 'everyone else is', and it is damaging, not only for my generations confidence, but, if media is as awful as it is now in 50 years, our children's.  I know I'm going all serious on this matter, but it is a very serious topic that we need to change people's views on, and I believe strong, independent woman like Jada can help our society do so. The important thing to remember is that women come in all shapes and sizes, but as long as they're healthy, that's the important thing.
Whilst looking today at different articles that Jada has been featured in, I discovered a great website called Style has no Size. The woman who runs it is called Edith Dohmen, and she is a fashion stylist from the Netherlands. She's a UK Size 16-18, and created the website/blog to 'Show Women and girls with larger sizes can look stylish and beautiful as well'. It was a very uplifting thing to read, so if you want to have a look at that you can. Also, here is the link for the great interview on 'Ugly Face of Beauty' for you to enjoy.
Thanks for reading, and hopefully August will be my month to blog as much as I want! 

3 comments:

  1. I watch Gracie too! I love her and her channel and totally agree with you about the media perception of what is acceptable looks-wise, I watched this when it was first on Gracie's channel and think Jada is stunning to be honest! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Anna, always a pleasure to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring post Anna! It really shows what society is like and you're totally right, it's completely wrong.

    Congrats on turning 15 also! It's a wonderful age ;)

    Becca x

    ReplyDelete