Tuesday 9 September 2014

Company's Final Issue: End of an Era?

When I first started blogging back in 2012, I always read Company and nothing else, and I knew the exact reason why. Nowadays in my opinion pretty much all fashion magazines are the same, they all have big interviews with stars from the latest blockbuster movies, they all pretty much write the same way, and the shampoo advertisements are endless. I wasn't brought up as a magazine kid, my parents much preferred me reading books than anything else because they knew they were a better buy, and I wouldn't just want them for the free gift. But when I first saw Company I knew it was different just from reading the cover, and that's how my love affair with (in my opinion) the iconic style magazine.
I felt like the journalists featured each month were speaking personally to me, and the informal take on fashion really had me hooked from early days. I actually met the editor last year at the Company Style Blogger Awards, but since I'm not good with people, as I handed her a business card, they all fell on the floor, and there she was, the woman who I wanted to be my future boss hopefully, picking my amateur business cards up off the floor with me, and looking fabulous doing it. After that I swore I was going to see her again and make a better impression because since the age of about twelve I'd wanted to work for Company, and to be perfectly honest I still do.

I don't know what it was really that kept me buying the magazine each month, whether it was the hilarious columns by Gemma or Jameela, or the very funny yet highly underestimated back of it where they'd have a 'unlikely style icon', these included Bewitched!, Dolly Parton, or even Puss in Boots. It was also a very healthy reading material for teenage girls or boys to read since they supported the blogger community a lot, and they didn't have advertisements with skinny women all over the place.
But since our generation are getting more and more techy, is it time to say goodbye to magazines? Could it be the end of an era? I was brought up on nursery rhymes and cat in the hat, nowadays children are being brought up with storytime apps on the ipad, or a kindle. So when the younger generation of now start to grow up, will they think that holding a magazine and book in hand and feeling the pages will be old fashioned? 

So because of that controversial topic, Company have decided to end their publications and go digital. It genuinely upsets me because so many magazines this year all around the world have already gone out of print all together or gone digital, it's just how media technology is progressing and getting bigger and 'better'. 
So what do you think of magazines changing and going online? Do you prefer magazines in your hand or digitally?

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow I didn't know this was happening. Company is always my go to magazine and has been for a very long time now but I did find the calibre of it had gone down a lot lately. Jameela's column was the only quality bit of writing in it for me. I don't think I'll be checking it out online though, too many blogs to read as it is!

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a shame! I love having the magazines sitting on my desk and just being able to flip through the pages, you can't do that on your iPad!!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Company magazine and I had to stop my subscription because of this :(
    xoxo

    www.randomindistilling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me truly sad. :(

    http://life15juicy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tangible side of magazines - holding it, taking it on a plane, the glossy pics, the pull out posters. I think it's boring that everything is going to end up online.
    Nice post xx

    Re[Styled]

    ReplyDelete