Sunday 14 September 2014

Reach Higher: Is Youtube the way to address young people's issues?

Hi Everyone!
I'm a big fan of the youtube community, I mean shamefully I probably watch more videos than I read blogs, but the point is it's a great platform for people of all ages if they use it correctly, like Tyler Oakley. Tyler is a well known youtuber that most of you will know about since he's become part of the celebrity world recently, and has worked with the likes of One Direction, Zoella, and Darren Criss on his channel. His latest collab was with none other than the first lady herself, Michelle Obama. I think the Obama family are a very down to earth group of people, and they definitely know which ways are the best to talk about problems that America is facing every day, and that's what I'm going to write about today. I know a lot of people like blogs to stick to their preferred subject, but since journalism is something I take a lot of interest in, whenever I see an interesting discussion or something happening, especially to do with young people, I like to discuss it on social media, but I'm thinking of bringing it to my blog! So let me know if you'd like to see more posts like this in the future.
I think trying to get through to young people is quite difficult these days, we definitely don't respect older people or adults like our parents did, and I think we also find it hard to listen to them when they most of the time have our best interest at heart. I know in my school we get a lot of presentations about problems and dangers we are facing at our age, and even though it may inform us for the hour that we're in the room, as soon as we step outside, we forget about it. But why is that? In my opinion, I think it's because they aren't doing it right. They're not putting these problems in a way that we, as a generation who use more time up on computers than we spend going outside, can understand. But things are slowly changing. 

In Tyler's video, they spoke about education and how important the scheme Michelle Obama is fronting called 'Reach Higher' is, but The First Lady and Tyler Oakley make the video light and fun, so it doesn't feel as if they're pressuring us. Michelle Obama has realised where she needs to go to get the attention of young people, and that's why she has had 44 cameo appearances (stats in 2012) on television, including several kids tv shows, such as iCarly, Jessie, and for younger children she's starred in Sesame Street, following First lady Laura Bush, and Hilary Clinton. She cleverly uses these cameos to boost awareness of her campaigns, and she even appeared on 'Biggest Loser' to talk about her 'Let's Move' initiative to make America healthier.
I think other countries politicians need to follow Michelle Obama's steps, since she's making America aware of campaigns through the Media even if we don't realise she is, and I respect her a lot for that. So what do you think of Michelle Obama, do you think what she's doing is benefiting America and helping or is it just another way for young people to ignore the important choices they have to face in life? Let me know in the comments, thanks for reading and I'll speak to you all very soon.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting

    http://life15juicy.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised to see that you're 14! Some good analysis in there, all the best!

    ReplyDelete