Sunday 23 November 2014

The Lammily Doll: Interview with the Creator

Hello Everyone!
I hope you've had a great week and I see that a lot of you have recently been putting your christmas trees up already which is kind of early for me. I usually put mine up during the second week of December, but since are family are feeling extra festivy we are going to have it up during the first week woohoo! But anyway, I know a lot of you are still waiting for December to start to get excited, so I won't babble anymore. Recently, a doll has gone viral, causing controversy and mixed feelings about it, so I managed to get in touch with the creator, Nickolay Lammily to see if I could ask him some questions about the doll. To give you a brief description of Lammily, I'll let you know in a short and sweet paragraph.

Lammily was created earlier this year and will be dispatched on November 28th, 2014. 13,261 backers signed up in favour of the doll, who was created with the real proportions of a teenage girl. The doll has brown hair and is much shorter and curvier than the average barbie, and comes with acne,cellulite, and other 'imperfections' that you can stick on. But before you start to think that isn't a fashion doll, stop right there. You can buy tones of different outfits seperately on the site which have really catchy names and are genuinely really stylish, something that I and many other girls would wear day to day. 

I was so excited when I found out that this doll was actually being created and sold to children, since it will show them that a doll can be popular even if it isn't tall, skinny and blonde. Don't get me wrong, people who have similar features are also beautiful, but somethimes seeing the same features on a doll is a bit boring, and since the Lammily doll is the polar opposite of the stereotypical doll, I'm excited to see how girls and boys will react. Here's the official video for the release of the doll, so you can pause your reading and check it out real quick, hurry baaack.
So as you can see, it's been raved about all around the world, and celebrities like Ashton Kutcher, and Demi Lovato have given a positive opinion on the doll. So I asked Nickolay Lamm a couple questions about the doll, and here's what he had to say about it.
Why is your doll called Lammily?
Lammily is my family name, and if you combine Lamm and the word family, you get the word Lammily. But Lammily isn't actually the name of the doll, it's the name of the company. There will soon be a feature on the site where you can get a passport for your doll, and name it whatever you want.
In one sentence, describe the features of your doll and how it is different compared to the normal doll?
The Lammily doll is meant to look like a typical woman. The doll has soft hair, an ombre blouse, denim shorts, and white sneakers. The body is made to be a typical body that a lot of women have.
What similarities does the usual barbie and lammily have? 
They are both fashion dolls.
What inspired the creation of your doll?
I went shopping for a doll as a present for a child, and saw how the wall of dolls is like a wall of supermodels. I haven't got anything against that, but I felt as if there should be more diversity in the toy world.
Do you feel like the doll will be an interest to children as much as the barbie does, and will they want it on their Christmas list for this year?
Yes! Because the doll is like a person, and I feel it's a lot more relatable. As for being on a child's Christmas list, I don't know, but I hope so!
Why do you feel like now is the time for your doll to be sold on the market?
I think it's now or never! I feel that this is the doll that people have really been waiting for.
Do you feel like the media's perception of beauty is getting out of hand?
Not really. But I do have an issue that people criticise skinny models, they are people too. It's as if saying that it's not okay to be skinny.
Do you feel like this doll will hopefully show children that spots and cellulite are normal but still beautiful?
Yes, I want to make these things mainstream so that it's not something to be ashamed of.
To finish, do you think that the media and their perception of beauty should be censored for younger children?
I think kids should definitely see what's out there and make their own decisions about everything. I personally feel they should just see what's available and make their own opinions.

Thanks for reading, and thankyou to Nickolay Lamm for answering my questions! SO what do you think of this doll, do you think it'll be a hit or a miss? Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Such a good idea! I'm intrigued to see how it'll go down on the market. xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete