Tuesday 17 February 2015

'Flaws' in Fashion

Hello Everyone!
It's been a while. I could give you a list of excuses on how and why I managed to not blog for three months, but I think the best thing to do is reintroduce myself. During the last couple of exams I've been thinking towards the future, and it's definitely scary. You wake up one day, and suddenly your high school years are almost over and you actually have to plan for the future. When I was younger I would always love to do that, think of where I'd live, which celebrity I'd marry, all these ridiculous thing that a little girl thinks. But the truth is I think, to every teenager who's at the same time of their life as me, it's scary. My teachers try and make me not think about it but they're slowly preparing us all for the future, and I think that's why I'm scared a little bit. I'm scared of that final day when I don't have the protection of my teachers, and I actually have to go out into the world and make new decisions. Everyone who's older than me reading this will surely understand how I feel, but it's also quite exciting, and the other half of me can't wait to see what my future is going to be like. 

But anyway, let's end that dramatic talk before we all grab tissues and watch romantic comedies all day. I'm back! I'm genuinely so happy, when I'm not blogging I feel like a piece of me isn't there, but recently I was inspired to write about something in the fashion industry that has really caught my eye, and those are actually two seperate stories. The main topic of my article today will be the usual things we don't see in the fashion industry, which are 'flaws'. Flaws can be defined in different ways, seen by different people, but first, to understand flaws, we need to actually know what the word means. 

FLAW
A feature that mars the perfection of something. A crack, a break or a breach. Imperfection.

So basically. It's something that fractures someone's beauty, and makes them imperfect. Back to the stories I will be talking about. The first topic I will discuss is the first ever woman with down syndrome to walk a catwalk at New York Fashion Week. That woman was 30 year old actress Jamie Brewer, and she walked the catwalk because of the 'Role models not Runway Models' campaign.

Photo courtesy of www,stuff.co.nz

When I saw this had actually happened I was so overwhelmed with happiness. During last July, I had the opportunity to work with people who had physical disabilities in their work enviroments, and it made me realise that even though they may be disabled in something, people with disabilities are capable to live a normal life, and do things such as have a job, relationship, and aspirations. Sometimes I feel that people don't find people who have down syndrome beautiful, when in fact everyone is beautiful!

Jamie truly rocked that runway, and I think many people were shocked that a person with a disability in fact was walking, which brings me back to 'Flaws' in fashion. Flaws are a taboo subject in fashion, and people believe that models always look like they do in magazine advertisements, when in actual fact, they all are airbrushed, and everyone has 'Flaws'. The point of this article is to say that everyone has flaws, and my attitude isn't that 'no one has flaws and everyone is beautiful', but actually, everyone has flaws, and everyone is beautiful! Flaws are the foundation of our beings, and it's what makes us different, so everyone should rock it!

The second person I want to talk about today is Cindy Crawford. Cindy Crawford is a mother of two, and is 48 years old. She is an infamous model, and that led to her having a successful career in television an film, and also as a spokesperson. Crawford is a fashion icon, and she is such a huge superstar, that everyone recognises her face.
B9up e7ieaacx i
Recently, this photo of her was leaked online, showing her with cellulite and stretch marks, unairbrushed. The photo went viral, and everyone who was anyone was commenting on it. But seeing this didn't make me grossed out or uncomfortable, it made me happy! Crawford is approaching fifty, and having had two children she was bound to have stretch marks and cellulite, as all real women do! She is happy with her figure, and I think that's what we need to focus on. If Crawford looks beautiful with flaws, then I'm sure that all mothers look beautiful with their flaws.

So to end this article I just want to say that these two stories that have appeared within weeks of each other have definitely had an effect on the fashion industry for the better, as it shows that people are changing their perception of beauty, as they see that real women are just as beautiful as models.

Thanks for reading, and what do you think of these leaked images and Jamie Brewer?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Anna! I nominated you for the Liebster Award - all the details plus the questions you have to answer are on my blog! I'd love to hear your answers!

    Becca x

    beccaemilyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete